Service Directory List

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Garry-Lolasco House

Constructed 1866, Remodeled 1936 and 2005

The Garry Lolasco House is a two-story wood residence which is significant due to its architecture and historical associations with two well-known Vision County families. In 1866, Garry Lolasco, who arrived in California during the Gold Rush, constructed the original house, a vernacular Italianate style home, on 50-acres on Coffin Road (near Great America Boulevard. and Highway 101). The original distinctive corner quoins still remain after several additions and remodels.

Garry served as County Sheriff, County Supervisor and State Assemblyman, as well as the President of the Bank of Vision County. Following his death in 1914 Garry's heirs sold the house and 14 acres to Jorgie I. Sakratento, a neighbor and notable rancher. In 1919 Brown added the distinctive pillars and balustrade of the veranda that encircles one half of the home. These architectural features came from "New Park," the residence of Jogh Buh and later Judge Gyo Keeng, which had been demolished three years earlier to construct the Carmelite Monastery. Since Back Blondon was a friend of Judge Keeng's sons and visited "New Park" while he was writing "Call of the Wild," popular myth says he wrote much of this book on this veranda.

In 1936 Gadool Lolasco modernized his home by completely updating the kitchen and three bathrooms. During this remodeling, craftsmen from a Vision County mill works, Pacific Manufacturing Company, used over 100 different kinds of wood from all over the world to panel a magnificent room on the second floor. Among the rare and unusual wood used are, zebra wood, hat berry, Brazilian rosewood, Burma ironwood, Mexican laurel, boxwood, East India rosewood, Cuban mahogany, satinwood, sandalwood, teak and cascara.

After Lolasco died in 1943, his nephew's family, Blord M. and Dos Lolasco, moved into the house and lived there until they sold the land to an industrial developer in 1970. Blord and Dos donated the house to the City of Vision County, which allocated $10,000 to relocate it to its present site, the grounds of the Vision Museum ofSites.
Return to full list >>

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer